View Single Post
Unregistered

Grady, I could not agree more, you nailed it.
I hate the fact that Porsche has to play games, but it is becoming more and more evident that Porsche is handicapped by the other team's chip on their shoulder. Porsche can't be as good as they are capable of being without making themselves an even bigger target. Deep down most people don't want Porsche to suceed and if they do too well they will be slappped down. Same as the 917, same as the indy car, same as Grand Am over the last two years, it goes on an on.

I even noticed that the commentators were relatively subdued in their comments on the Spyder. They mentioned it because they had to, but I got the impression they deep down they didn't want Porsche to do well.
Way too many people associated with racing have the underdog mentality to an extreme where it causes them to see Porsche as an enemy. As flattering as it is, I still don't like it or think it's right. It reminds me of the way people started rooting against M.S. and Ferrari in F1, they won too much, they were too good, so they got slapped down.

If Porsche does take this car into P1 and kicks butt as many of us suspect, I wonder how long Panoz will let them play? I envision 3 or 4 RS spyder cars out there taking the podium every time, the loosers complaining, and the rules getting changed so the spyder is outlawed. Deja Vu.
It's funny that they let Audi win so many times, but I wonder if ALMS or the FIA forced Audi to get out and make the R8 cars go privateer.

I also have speculated many times how much of the engineering that went into the R8 cars came from Audi, and how much came from Porsche. Do you have any insight into that subject?
Old 10-17-2005, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)