View Single Post

Garage
It's too bad but politics and racing have always been tied together. Porsche had all of it's racing bosses here from Uwe Brettel on down. I know that they were trying for a finish, they told me as much. They did not want to try for an outright win, the drivers said they had no chance as they were down in speed by a second a lap or so during the race. They were running in 2nd for a short time as they went through their pit cycles.
Orders are being taken for the first batch of customer cars, delivery is being promised for sometime in late 2006. One of the
major GT2 teams has an order in for 2 cars, I asked them what price they were quoted and they said they didn't know the price but price was not an issue. Let's just say some teams are better financed than others.
The 2006 GT3 RSR car is exactly the same car as this years car, Porsche told one team who was interested in placing orders for next years cars to consider keeping what they had as there were no changes significant enough to require a new car. I thought that was interesting. There is no word on whether there will be a new car after that.
I spoke with Alwin Springer for a bit, I told him he looked pretty busy for a retired guy. He just smiled and said, "Hey, I slept in 'till 9am today, that's retired!". He seems quite happy to not have all the responsibility on his shoulders but he's in the middle of everything anyway.

Good race, the Penske Porsche drivers were quite pleased afterwards as was the team, the other LMP2 teams were not as happy. The LMP2 champions were pitted next to us and I saw them doing a mad scramble just at dusk, one guy ran out of the trailer with a new starter, don't know what happened there.

Great weekend for racing, I was not happy with the Speed World Challenge GT race either, Cadillac had an agenda, it was to not allow a Porsche on the podium. They got what they wanted.
Mad Max Papis was delerious with the win (as he always is) and stated on the podium that this was no longer a Porsche track, it was a Cadillac track. I hope he gets to eat those words some day. When Cadillac finds their funding with GM vanishing, we'll see who wants to drive a Cadillac.

97 C4S
'04 330i
'08 Cayenne S
'07 4.8 X-5
Old 10-17-2005, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)