View Single Post

Garage
Paul,

I think it varies on the project and the person but for me, I was rebuilding the entire front end - ball joints, bushings, tie-rods, t-bars, bearings, brakes, etc,etc,.... you get the picture. For me, it was easier to completely disassemble, clean, paint/powder coat what I could and then reassemble in the proper order with all the new parts. In my mind, I could segment that (front end rebuild) and it was a manageable job. Its when you add the front-end rebuild to adding bodywork, plumbing and fitting a front oil cooler, gutting and redoing the interior, fitting a roll cage, rewire electrical and relocate battery so on and so forth to the winter's list - that's when it all adds up and becomes overwhelming, segmented or not. Even if its done segment at a time (which I tried to do).

What I learned - study the project ahead of time. Look at your manuals and the tech articles on this board so that you at least sort of understand how it all works. I went so far as to make a list of what I needed to do and it what order. That saved me a lot of back tracking later and helped in the reassembly as well. And, expect things to take longer than you think and alot plenty of time. IMHO doing the entire front end at once is manageable and for that matter, if you are replacing many of the components anyway, easier to do all at once.
74 911 IROC
98 Panoz GTWC
Old 10-18-2005, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)