View Single Post
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to MaquinaVerde
Zeke,

I didn't play the worker's comp card since I wasn't seriously injured, but I certainly would have if I needed medical attention. I reported it to my boss and the HR director and it would have been an on the job accident. The car insurance my company carries for my rental cars (I travel a lot) doesn't cover personally owned vehicles.

I do have the money in the bank and a clean title. Under certain circumstances the insurance companies (at least AAA) can do what they call a "cash out" repair settlement that does not involve salvage. Basically I told them that I was going to fix the car myself as I see fit and at my own expense past the settlement amount. The amount I got was the insurance appraised value minus $1200 for what would otherwise be salvage. They did not refund previously paid tax and registration since I will be fixing the car. A report that the car was in an accident and repaired will be on the Carfax but nothing is being reported to the DMV.

The reason this has taken 2 months is that I wasn't willing to accept a salvage title. I was mistakenly sent the salvage forms with my settlement and quickly received a phone call of apology from my adjuster's manager's manager.

This won't affect my premiums since they decided that I was 0% at fault. There were witnesses and the police report cited her failure to obey the red light (breaking some CVC code) as the entire cause for the accident.

I will say that I was not making much progress until my father (a lawyer) made a couple of phone calls up the totem pole at AAA. From that point it was about a week until the check was in my hands. The bottom line is that the little guy can get a fair settlement if you spend enough time. Drop me an email if you want any more info.

Matt
Old 10-18-2005, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)