View Single Post
Wer bremst verliert

Very interesting thread, can I revive it to ask about my measurements?

I'm building up a 3.0 street/track toy with mahle cylinders, JE 9.5CR pistons, standard rods & crank, heads and new valves/springs. The cams are DR-20. Single plug.

I measured my #1 and 4 deck heights today using wax (no acid core solder in the area?!?) and got a consistent, but higher-than-expected 1.55MM (.061") deck height on all four measurements (per Wayne's book measuring on the axis of the wrist pins.)

The heads have been fly-cut. I haven't been able to find a burette and so wasn't planning on cc'ing.

Knowing the cutting brings the valves closer to the piston, I am mindful of wanting to err on the side of having a higher deck height, and will be measuring piston/valve clearance when I have the towers on.

It sounds like from many of these posts above that 1.55MM is out of range on the high side. I have only one .25mm copper gasket between the cylinders and case spigots.

Is it acceptable to run without any gasket? 1.55 seems like way out from what others are recording.

thanks all
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 10-22-2005, 03:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)