Thread: head height
View Single Post

0.10 mm copper gaskets aren't available. We are talking an error of .004" (four thousands/inch). The real question here is where to cut the four thousands from the heads. That is from the top or the bottom.
I would carefully cc each head to determine how the other five heads compare to the "short" head.
I would then shave four thousands from the two heads that would end up closest to the "short" head. These heads would then be used on the same side, 1-2-3 or 4-5-6.
If all the head volumes are equal, less than 0.10cc. difference, I would consider shaving the top of two of the heads four thousands.
If there is a significant difference in the cylinder head volumes such that shaving any two heads does not get them close to the "short" head then I would consider replacing the "short" head.
Ultimately you want head volumes (ie: compression) to be as close to each other as possible.
You wouldn't want three heads with a 83cc. volume and the other three at a 85cc. volume.

Last edited by 2.7RACER; 10-25-2005 at 11:50 AM..
Old 10-25-2005, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)