View Single Post

Porsche Crest

Quote:
Originally posted by 276RS
The peterson tank is a 3 gallon unit. It is hard to see oil levels through the perferated basket inside. any ideas?
Sure - isn't the basket below the inlet? Fill so the basket is covered? Anyway, here is what Peterson recommends on their website:

Peterson Oil tanks are rated in gallons of total capacity. A good rule of thumb is to run the tank about 2/3 full. When you first fill the tank, make a dipstick using a wood dowel or use a tape measure down through the cap and get a measurment as you put in each quart of oil. This can then be used to check the oil level on race night. After starting the engine, recheck the level and add oil as necessary to get about 2/3 full. If you find that you are blowing oil out of the breather, try lowering the level in the tank by about a quart. Blowing oil is often the result of the tank being too full.

This is pretty much what I did - when I started getting too much oil in the catch can (mine is a translucent plastic so I can see how much is in there) I lowered the hot oil level a little. Now I can just eyeball it.

Walt Fricke
Old 10-25-2005, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)