View Single Post

So many variables....

Maybe this was a better batch of bearings than your previous engines? Who knows?

Hard to tell from the pictures....some of the holes appear to be an embedment of some sort (dirt) rather that torn (wear).

It's difficult to gain hard data from just one rebuild and so many gray areas....rpm, load at a given rpm, temperature, etc. I guess after a few engine rebuilds you could start to establish a trend.

I will admit to seeing a "trend" in better bearing life in recent years which I'm willing to attribute to modern oils.....for lack of any other reasonable explaination.

With regards to your comment of needing a "bigger bearing".....maybe not necessarily bigger, but maybe thinner. That's been a long problem of the SC/912 bearings.....they're thick, therefore they're taking the load instead of the rod. Thinner stronger bearing shells won't deform as easily, and will back the bearing surface better. Obviously, this would require custom rods and bearings.....it's cheaper and easier to just replace the stock bearings on a regular basis.

At 8,000-10,000 rpm I'm curious to hear how the valvetrain is holding up!?

Todd
Old 11-09-2005, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)