View Single Post

Thanks for the advice Grady,

So far I have cleaned out one half of the case and checked all piston squirters and main oil passages everything is in order, I've also cleaned and blown through both cam spray bars with compressed air and they are ok, I will be cleaning the other case half next week and doing the necessary checks on the piston squirters etc. I will also re-check the tank and have the cooler checked out, basically anyplace where oil channels i will clean and check, which I'm hoping should cover everything.

The crank checked out ok, it required polishing and it was crack tested. I have a found another pump complete with intermediate shaft and gearing which, from inspection, is in tip-top condidtion, all other top-end parts have been degreased and are ready for closer inspection prior to re-fitting.

the reason I'm struggling to know where it came from is I thoroughly cleaned out the oil tank and lines prior to this install, the on-engine cooler came from my 2.2T which i had no issues with, the T engine was just a little tired. This 3.0 case must have been opened at some stage in it's life as it had the later oil pump installed and it's my reckoning that some idiot left something in there or dropped something in there whilst doing it and never realsied, or couldnt get it out, it probably got lodged somewhere near the pressure pump and all the moving around whislt doing the top-end rebuild dislodged it, that's the only thing i can think of.

I here you on the transmission as well, a 915 is a future modifaction I would like to make, but i know there is some hammering/cable/shifter/clutch changes to make so until then I intend on being nice and light footed in 1st gear. i do love that dog leg config on the 911 box though, it's way cool.

The 911 is a real solid car othewise, the rear lid needs swapping for exterior correctness as it's from an earlier car (with the centre bar) but it doesnt bother me too much. I like to think it more of a grand tourer than out and out sports, i've added new bilstein medium valved inserts on all 4 corners, turbo tie-rods, i have put in a momo prototipo, bf tourino recliner seats with rears re-trimmed to match, rs style door panels, but for that luxury feel i've added moch-1 front underdash/rear speaker enclosures and a set of cocomats, so i havent succumbed to the 'lightweight' brigade yet, it's a bt of a mish mash but it works for me

the 914 is near stock, apart from a few subtle touches, lenses, black/silver hood badge, bursch muffler with dual webers, it sounds wonderful and is such fun to drive. It actually draws more attention than the 911 in London.

Thanks for the offer of the gearbox Andy, i need to get the car running well before i think of anymore mods though.

'71 911T with C3 motor
'67 912
'92 BMW 320i
Old 11-26-2005, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)