View Single Post

Jack,

You have 2 Z1's to consider. One is where your cam for one cylinder bank is located such that both the intake valve and the exhaust valve rockers are on the heel of the cam for that side, that is at the point where you would have the cam to adjust the proper valve lash. Neither rocker is on a lobe at this point. At that same Z1, with out moving the crank, the opposite cam ( the cam on the opposite bank), will be on overlap, or where the exhaust valve is closing, and the intake valve is opening. It is this Z1 where you are setting the cam on the side that is on overlap.

When you turn the crank to the next Z1, or 360 degrees, the sides swap. Now you will be adjusting the overlap on the opposite bank from the one you just did.

I don't have Wayne's book, so I don't know the exact context of what he is saying. But I think he means that the intake valve will begin to open before you reach Z1 on the side where you are setting the lift of the intake valve.

HTH,
(73 911T (RS look) coupe)
(Misc. 911 Parts for Sale)
Old 11-28-2005, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)