View Single Post

Re: @ Home Engine Rebuilds... Have you?

Quote:
Originally posted by cchyper
I am thinking about rebuilding my motor. Has anyone rebuilt one before? This will be my first Porsche motor rebuild.
I've haven't "rebuilt" a Porsche engine, completely yet, but have done so on a handful of other engines.

I have two early Porsche blocks completely stripped, been to the machine shop and mic'd out, and checked over, and just waiting for me to pull the trigger on one or the other.

Only advise I could possibly give is:

Take your time! Don't rush ANY part of the job! Thats when mistakes and problems can and will happen. Going back to replace/redo/repair a mistake, is more costly in time and money than taking the time to get it right the first time.

Research everything, hopefully, prior, to getting to it, but also along the way as you get to it. And keep that research handy, and easily accessable.

If even slightly unsure of something, STOP, and find out for sure, before proceeding.

THE RIGHT TOOLS, FOR THE RIGHT JOB! Not an absolute for everything mind ya, but, make it your overall intent when "rebuilding" this engine, or any engine for that matter.

CLEAN FREAK. Keep everything clean, and organized along the way. Make a plan of attack, so to speak. Label everything as needed, and even what you may not think is needed, durring disassembly.

Good luck, and have fun doing it! It will be just the greatest feeling, when your done, turn that ignition switch, and she comes to life again!

I sure wished I'd pay closer attention to this advise I'm giving you!

Old 12-14-2005, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)