View Single Post
Registered Lunatic

Garage
Also, DON'T THROW ANY replaceable items away until the job is done.

I know it sounds stupid, but trust me! You may want to be able to re-inspect these throughout the rebuild.

The 944 is fairly straight-forward. The one thing you'll want to remember is DON'T HONE and DON'T REMOVE the ridge on the cylinder walls. Typically you won't encounter a terrible ridge anyway.

I've heard several different stories on dressing these walls. One is to not do anything at all. The other is to lightly score them with scotch-brite to help the new rings seat. Any input from others here???? I dressed mine. There's 15k on it now and I have great compression for the altitude I'm at.

ALSO NOTE, that if you EVER use scotch-brite, ALWAYS thoroughly clean everything. The little particles that come off of these pads can play havoc. There are actually a number of TSB's from several manufactures concerning this.

Also, you don't have to go crazy with the loctite when you assemble the bearing cradle. Use a velour roller to roll this on. Don't go crazy trying to remove all of the old sealant from these surfaces either. The new loctite will desolve the old.

You'll also be better off if you gain access to the factory service manual. The independant P-shop I use has never had a problem with allowing me to reference thier copy.

Last edited by d.a.autry; 12-14-2005 at 09:11 PM..
Old 12-14-2005, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)