View Single Post
Parrothead member

Quote:
Originally posted by d.a.autry
The 944 is fairly straight-forward. The one thing you'll want to remember is DON'T HONE and DON'T REMOVE the ridge on the cylinder walls. Typically you won't encounter a terrible ridge anyway.

I've heard several different stories on dressing these walls. One is to not do anything at all. The other is to lightly score them with scotch-brite to help the new rings seat. Any input from others here???? I dressed mine. There's 15k on it now and I have great compression for the altitude I'm at.

Been building race engines for 20 something yrs and I would never, ever install new rings in an engine without honing or especially removing the ridge. Thats the quickest way to destroy or break your rings. The finish on the cylinder walls also depends on the type of rings you are using. A 240 Flex hone would be what I would use on it. the cross hatch angle also depends on the ring type.
Like Granite said, I'm a clean freak also. Clean everything cood make sure all your threads are clean If possible pick up a tap and tie set so you can run all the threads. Clean all the old sealants off everything. make sure any parts you use go back in the spot they came from( pistons, rods , valve components and lifters especially)

Last edited by VINMAN; 12-15-2005 at 03:58 AM..
Old 12-15-2005, 03:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)