View Single Post
Registered Lunatic

Garage
Um. . . . This is a nickasil treated block. . . .if you hone it you'll destroy the treated (extruded silicium) surface of the cylinder bore.

If you must machine these bores, the ONLY way to do it is a special process (namely, by using a Sunnen CK-10/CV-616)

I WILL REPEAT - - IF YOU HONE THESE WALLS YOU WILL DESTROY THE SILICIUM PROTRUSIONS!!!!

I will also repeat, you shouldn't find much of a ridge that will cause you any problems. I've encountered only one block out of 8 that had a ridge significant enough that would even grab your nail as you pulled it across. If you do then I'd spend the $$$ to have the SPECIAL process of oversizing and re-protuding of the silicium done, or find a good block. If you go with the latter option then you need to get the block with its original bearing cradle and balance shaft housings as these were machined as a unit from the factory.

This isn't you're good 'ole 350, a diesel, a 351 or a 383. Although the process of a standard refreshing is straightforward enough on this engine, if you don't do your proper homework, . . .you'll fail!!!

BTW, Loctite 574 will disolve any hardened Loctite 574, . . . and it will reset just like new. No need to rack your brains on this. If you're a little A/R about it, then use the Loctite 80646 remover.

Last edited by d.a.autry; 12-15-2005 at 09:09 AM..
Old 12-15-2005, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)