View Single Post

I agree (somewhat) with Fast. I would price out the repair yourself. That's what i did on my 968, which had the same failure ar yours. My shop quote was around 6K. Did it myself for about $1800, and that included replacing a LOT of the incidental things.

I think your best bet is a junkyard head (with cams). On the S, S2 and 968 cars, when the cam chain tensioner fails, it damages the cam gears, so your cams are gone as well. Unfortunately, it's not just as simple as changing a few valves. New cams are pretty much out of the question, they're only available from Porsche, and are probably around 1400 for the pair. SInce they didn't make too many 944S's, you might have to search for a while before you find a head. Keep checking www.car-part.com, and eventually a head should pop up. (there was nothing when i just looked)

If you have to sell it, I would part it out......Provided you have space, and time and the motivation to do it. (it takes more than you think of ALL 3) Even with the engine dead, you'll probably be able to part it out for 5-7K. Possibly more, if you manage to sell even all the small parts.

'92 968
'01 VW Jetta TDi
Old 01-02-2006, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)