View Single Post

great to hear from you again CJ. Where did you move to? Same general area?

Asphalt floor? That's strange. Somebody must have just enclosed a section of the driveway with a garage. I looked into those snap-together floor tiles. Nice, but pretty expensive. You could look into some of those high-solids epoxy paints. That's what i used in my new place. I don't know how well it would stick to asphalt though. I used sherwin-wiliams Armorseal 1000. It definitely wasn't the cheapest coating (about $110 for 2 gal, enough for a 1 car garage), but it's a true 2-part epoxy, much more durable than the 1-part paints sold at HD and Lowes. It's been excellent so far. I haven't been able to chip it at all, and i've dropped some heavy things onto it.

I'll second the motion about checking the electrical system first. Definitely make sure you have plenty of outlets where you need them, they're REALLY hard to add once the drywall is up. (BTW: GFCI's are required by code in garages)

As far as heat, a small heater might be ok, if the place is well insulated and sealed. Make sure to check the garage door seals. 60-80% of the heat loss in a building is due to cold air leakage, not lack of insulation.

You don't have to go crazy with the $80 flourescent fixtures, but don't get the $9 ones either. The really cheap ones don't start in cold weather. Ones that do start in cold weather will say so on the package. If the new bulb doesn't fix your existing light, a replacement ballast will. I would only do this if the light is a good-quailty light though, a replacement ballast will probably cost the same as a complete moderate-price fixture.

'92 968
'01 VW Jetta TDi
Old 01-04-2006, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)