Thread: car cover...?
View Single Post

Unfortunately, there may not be a cheap answer for you, depending on your expectations. I did a little research on this a few months ago, with winter approaching and no place to put my MGB project. The "weather resistant" covers you get on E-bay are of almost no use for keeping the rain off/out of your car. They are for keeping the sun off your paint and for fooling buyers who don't read the fine print (just read the feedback on these products). I used a tarp on the "B" last year and it scratched the S...T out of the paint when it got windy (that's the plastic that did that, not the metal grommets). It can probably be buffed out, but the point is that when a car cover manufacturer tells you that they try to make the inside of their covers soft to reduce damage to the paint surface, they say it for a reason. Lastly, while you want to keep rain off the paint, you also want any moisture that gets underneath (condensation, moisture from under the car) to be able to evaporate. That means it has to breathe. And that means $.

In short, if you want a good cover that will keep rain off, hold up for a few years of use, respect your paint, and let moisture evaporate, you're looking at around $150-$200. At least, that's what I concluded. I bought a Covercraft for my 944S, and it's done what they said it would. But then I spent over $200 on it. Now, I just use that one on the B when it's outside and switch it over to the S when the B gets garage time.

Of course, the other alternative is to put a screen tent over the whole thing. Seriously. Why not?
Old 01-04-2006, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)