Thread: New owner stuff
View Single Post
White and Nerdy

Garage
Except for mom's S2, all the 944's I've driven are fairly lacluster below 2,200RPM. If you are trying to get work out the engine ,try to stay above 1,900RPM. I run belo on light near zero throttle loads in 4th and 5th, but if a good hill comes up, or I need to move quicker suddenly, best to change gear to higher RPM.

I've never had your trouble of a cold start, but then, I hardly drive above 35 MPH and never ask much of it for the first bit. Soon as its warmed up, I either keep my nice easy pace, or I'm off like a rocket depending on what I feel like.

The 944 is a thoroughly enjoyable car. Engine fluid and belt mainteance is something I would stay on top of for sure.

First car I ever drove was a black '84 in a parking lot at age 14, owner let me drive it arond. I was gently, never pushed it, but enjoyed it immensely. Second encounter was a 968 coupe a little bit before my 17th birthday. I had just enough by then to buy it. I'd been saving ever since the previosuly mentioned 944 drive. I was a bit intimdated by driving such a nice car, and didn't enjoy it as much.

The next car for me to drive was the faimlies Ford 15 passenger van which I leanred to drive on. A few other vehichles for short times in between, such as parking a 1,000lb open cockpit race car. Then the '85 944 I ended up buying, and losing late last year to a Toyota pickup. Total 4 cylender Porsches I've driven is the '84, '95 968, '85 944, '86 944, '86 944, and breifly a '89 S2. Except perhaps for the 968, every moment has been enjoyable. Sometime I'd like to drive a 968 again. I'd also love a day in a turbo charged Porsche, either a 930, 931, or 951.

Both the cars I've owned have been much mor low rev freindly. Surprisingly so. My brother's 86 screams and cries if you ask much out of it below 2K RPM. Where as both my Ex and current could run 35MPH in 5th so long as I didn't encounter a steep incline, then 3rd or 4th wuld be desired.

Take good care of your 944, and it will last. My '85 was totaled with an engine that the only work done had been timing and balancing shafts/belts - and it was at somewhere near 215,000 miles. Front seal had recently started a small leak that was almost noexistant. As had the shift linkage seal in the original gearbox, items I was just about to take care of, very glad the chrash happened first and I hadn't just had those done. Car was pretty much rust free, tad patch under neath the doors, and the exaust wasn't super pretty, car spent several years in serious snow zones, remarkly robust car!

I grew up in the carolina woods, never was in or around a sports car until I was 13 or so, yet I knew i loved raceing. First found out about the 944 in 2000, and only a few months later got to drive one. There was been nothing in my invironment to provoke such a love of sports cars. Its there, and it runs very very deep.

Last edited by Tervuren; 01-05-2006 at 03:12 PM..
Old 01-05-2006, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)