View Single Post

Peek into the depths of the engine: pics + a few questions

Hey guys, I just got done taking apart the engine today. About 5 hours of work got the block just about stripped. When I got the head off, I was surprised at the condition of the cylinder walls. They were immaculate. The pistons had a bit of buildup on them, but that can be taken care of. And on top of that, I only lost 1 bolt, and one washer. Don't remember where the washer was from, but the bolt was one of the cam cover bolts, so i'm going to have to track down that. Pretty good for me since I usualy lose 2-3 doing small projects. Theres alot to be said for using plastic bags to hold bolts.

I only had 2 goof ups.One goof up came when I put a screw driver in the #1 cylinder to help me while spinning the crank to get the engine to TDC. I forgot it was in there, and i jammed it got jammed into the piston, and left a gash! Danm it! The other is a bigger one, and i'm going to need some help as to what to do. I got the engine to TDC (while the screwdriver was still in the spark plug hole) and I took off the timing belt. When I remembered that the screwdriver was in there, and tried to get it out, I moved the flywheel instead of the crank pulley to get the crank to turn. I lined up the "OT" mark with the casting line but i'm not sure what needs to be done now. I put the engine back at TDC, and I would assume theres no harm done correct, the cam and the crank will be lined up?

Other than that Since I've never had experience with cleaning pistons, what procedures should I take to get the carbon build up off? What about the gash that I put on the #1 piston?

I took this motor apart so I could re gasket the whole thing while it was out of the car, but what else should I do while i'm in there? I'm thinking the piston rings would be worth it, and maybe the rod bearings, but thats it. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for whatever help you give me. Now for the pictures

Look at the Cylinder Walls... I cant find any imperfections:

Another Shot:
eww, carbon buildup:
Old 01-05-2006, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)