View Single Post

Just fixed my wire and cleaned mine up too.

Is your wire broken?

I have a header and no warm air guides, but if you have the stock exhaust, remove the warm air guide on the driver's side. The thermostat is on the outer edge near the rear pushrod tubes. There are two 10mm nuts and washers to remove. I used my favorite tool, a micro rachet 1/4" drive for the task.

The wire is on a brass nut and the thermostat bellows is held in with a short bolt (probably 13mm). Mine was 100% cooked in oil and grease. I started with WD-40 and some rags. I noted which side the bolt was on and the orientation of the thermostat and then took out the 13mm bolt. More WD-40 and a small brass brush. Looks almost new now.

Y9ou can test it in the oven or with super hot water.

The wire to the flaps is twisted stainless steel cable. I used a bicycle deraleur cable (@ $1.50) with the small barrel end, but PP sells the real thing. Remove the brass cable retainer (10mm open ended) and replace the cable.

Cable goes through the opening of the thermostat mounting bracket around a pulley and up in to the engine compartment. I was able to use a coat hanger from the top and pull the cable up. Some people told me it is too thick, so a piece of wire or string might do the trick to fish it up (tape the wire to the fishing line...)

The flaps use a 7mm bolt. The flaps are spring loaded to the open (cooling) position by default. So... With the engine cold and the thermostat cold, the wire pulls the flap spring closed. Therefore, you should take a medium screwdriver against the hinge and gently hold the flaps closed while you pull hard and tighten the cable. You won't get it 100% tight, but you will get it tight. You can also leave the brass cable nut loose at the thermostat and then tighten it after you pull the cable tight from the top. I left 1.5" of cable hanging out. Some shrink wrap will keep it from cutting you when your done.

As the car heats up, the thermostat bellows will expand, while being pulled by the spring pressure and weight of the flaps. This will allow more air to cool the now warmed motor.

Good Luck

Joe
Old 10-22-2001, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)