View Single Post
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by gadgit
The access hole is in the diff. you take of a plate and get hold of the shaft, if you can turn it back and forth about a 1/4 turn its knackered (the clutch plate rubber centre that is)

We don't seem to have got the spring version over here, but he says the rubber should last 40-50k with no problems, and gives a far better drive.
Ahh! Right, right, I'd forgotten about that access plug to the coupling near the transaxle.

I'm going to give another recommendation on finding a spring-center clutch. The longevity is a huge benefit as the friction material on a 944 clutch can last 150,000 miles. Just seems silly to me to replace it at half that (or less) because the center took a digger.

As far as the rubber center giving a better drive, I replaced the stock rubber center clutch (date stamped 1986, replaced in 2004, 150,000 miles, plenty of friction material left, but the center had been dead for the whole year I'd owned it and god only knows how long for the previous owner, probably since they'd owned it too) in my 924S with a spring-cented SACHS disk and I have to say that the spring-center was vastly superior. I thought it was much smoother. Honestly, nearly every other car out there uses a spring center for its clutch, how many of them have you thought were inadequate? And there's your answer.

Go with the spring-center. If your mechanic won't get one for whatever reason, buy one through Pelican or another respected internet parts house if shipping across the pond is prohibitive.
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 01-07-2006, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)