View Single Post
Let's go shooting.

Quote:
Originally posted by AaronM
The spring center clutch is a direct, drop-in replacement. It requires no additional parts or modifications to work perfectly.

Every clutch replacement does need to have the pressure plate replaced and the flywheel at least re-finished. Any shop trying to sell you a clutch job without replacing the pressure plate and refinishing the flywheel should not be allowed to work on cars. For that matter, if they recommend no replacing the throw-out bearing (release bearing in the UK) they shouldn't be working on cars. Other things could be optional but those three (release bearing, flywheel re-surface, and new pressure plate) are absolutely essential.
Is this true? The refinishing of the flywheel, I mean. I've done numerous clutch replacements on other cars and, after examining the surface to check for scoring or blued areas caused by overheating, happily put on a new clutch with no problems whatsoever (after using a proper alignment tool, obviously)

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 01-08-2006, 02:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)