View Single Post

I'm by no means a purist. Wild and crazy are my traits.

I really dislike Hydros because they promote neglect, and hide problems that would normally be FOUND during a valve adjustment.

I have seen more dropped seats, snapped valves with Hyrdos than with every solid lift combined.

The oil in a hydro engine must be kept clean, or those lifters (that have.0010 tolerance) will suffer the consequences, explode, spit a pushrod, pop a retainer and destroy an engine..

After I noticed 75% of ALL the cams I see that are HYDRO are worn, I made policy not to use them. The lifters are in constant contact with the lobes, and tracing of the "Heel" is all too common.

In our videotape, we disassembled a hydro engine, the cam was wasted and there are some good close ups too.

I have seen an al orginal, 321,000 mile cam in better shape than 90% of the hydros we see, with 40K miles.

I turn down atleast 2 jobs/month because I stick with my policy, I have not used a single hydro cam in 4 years!

If you decide to do it, make sure you use a web cam, and lifters..

------------------
Jake Raby
Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com
Old 10-23-2001, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)