View Single Post

Thanks everybody for your replys...here's my take on it.

Hydraulic lifters are supposed to produce far less cam wear. I know this goes against everything Jake said in his post but that is what I hear. I have talked to several reputale engine builders in the area who all insist that hydraulics wear better than solids. That being said, type IV engines (solid and hydro) do seem to have higher cam wear than other engines. I should also say that hydraulic is the choice of todays engineers for sound/wear/ease. The exception to this is very high reving motors which will always run solid.

To answer a few of the other points...my stock engine (hydraulic) pulls very hard for a silly little 1.8L and doesn't make ANY noise at startup unless it sits for a long time a then it goes away as soon as the engine builds pressure. When it does make noise it is minor, equivalent to a misadjusted valve. This motor was done hydro because I don't like doingh valves, not because I can't! I did manage to build the motor! (and about 30 others, various kinds) BTW, anyone who ENJOYS adjusting valves is a masochist. Plus the cost of the lifters was not a huge issue. Like so many other people on this board I suffer from having more money than time. It was easier to by the hydro cam/lifters than to find time o adjust valves all the damn time.

That said, I take all of your points on performance engines. Were a street engine may be the place for hydro's a track engine may not (especially if spun to 6 or 7000).

I hadn't heard that the 911 adjusters reduce valve adjustments. I will certainly look into that, and it may be the way to go.

End result...the jury is still out. I need to deide what I am using this engine for. Or, maybe I will get fed up with the whole damn argument and upgrade to the 6 now! Incidentally, if anyone has a '73 3L SC (or earlier with side shift) and want to sell it, get in touch with me!

Great discussion guys....

Sean

Old 10-25-2001, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)