View Single Post

Garage
I disagree. 200k in 6 months is not real life either. I Let one of our engineers read these arguments today. He said that any machine that has variables of it's "cycle" (how it is used) and it's operater can really never be real life tested unless it is real time. Case and point. I just got to dump 900.00 bucks into my 5.7l (350) GMC pickup. They (GM) threaded an aluminum hose fitting into a cast iron manifold. That combined with antifreeze and TIME caused some sort of chemical reaction that caused the pipe fitting to burst - inside the stupid manifold. It had nothing to do with mileage or lack of maintenance. There is no way they could have known this was going to happen unless they had tested this for years. They are showing a 90% failure rate after 5 years.
The most talented engineer on the planet can not forsee everything that bone heads like me can do to a car on any particular day, on a dirt road, in a snow storm, riding the clutch, in low gear, with a dead bird blocking the tranny cooler and half of a big wheel melted to the oil pan, etc, etc...
Whoops, just spilled a slurpee on the fuse box, think I'll clean it off with this coarse steel wool pad!!!

Show me a dozen hydro motors with 150k and no major internal problems - from Colorado - and I'll put one in my car...

My slurpee drinkin, big wheel smashin, $.02
Old 10-29-2001, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)