View Single Post

Post 914 thermostat temperature range - what is correct?

OK, i'll bite and admit I'm confused.

In trying to troubleshoot an overheating engine and someone suggested checking out the thermostat. Well I could see that it expanded and contracted and operated the air diverting flaps, but I thought "what the heck".

I removed the thermostat and tested it according to the technique on page 13 of the Haynes manual. That says to insert into water and it should become expanded between 65-70 degree C. Well mine did not. It did expand at a higher temperature around 85-90C so I thought Hmmmmm.

Having immersed the thermostat bellows in water cleaned it off and I noticed that the thermostat was stamped 85-90C. AHAH! I thought, this kicks up the engine to around 190F before cooling even gets a chance to start, and since the previous owner had installed a rebuilt engine, perhaps the wrong thermostat was installed.

Now comes the rub. I ordered a new replacement thermostat from my FLAPS and guess what? It was clearly stamped 85-90C. Exactly what I now have.

Am I missing something here? Is this the correct thermostat and the Haynes manual wrong?

Like I said, I'm confused. Can someone shed some light?

------------------
Old 11-07-2001, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)