View Single Post

Quote:
Dan: Anything over 9.5:1 in these larger bore engines needs twin-ignition to run on 91 octane fuel.
I took Tom's advice and read the thread he directed me to. I'll be running the stock Mahles. The thought of going twin plug is entertaining but I want to keep the car as original as possible. I'll put one of Steve's chips in it and call it done.

Quote:
Thats a lot getting by the valves! Were the rockers set too tite? its hard to belive that they could leak that much unless they were not pressure tested when done? What seat angles did he use??
I took it to work yesterday and tried to talk myself out of taking it all apart again by doing another leakdown test. Guess what? It didn't heal itself.
I pulled the power unit out, and tore the motor down to the rods. The heads are back at the machinist. I will have to ask him what angles he used. He was as blown away with the crappy leakdown results as I was. He did pressure test them.

It was kind of cool tearing the motor down after it only had 5119 miles on it since the last time. I got to give myself a real quality control check of my own work. I took a bunch of pictures of the power plant removal, but that is going to go in another post for someone who would like to see a step by step engine removal with a G50 attached.
Heres where I left off yesterday.
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr. 4x4
1974 VW Thing (my back burner project)
Old 02-11-2006, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)