View Single Post

Quote:
Originally posted by logician
I never had much success with your type of tester, mine purchased from our host a few years back. That tester is actually operates like the single gauge type, and the pressure used for the measurement is fixed at 30lbs. I think that's too low, and you can have problems with the rings or valves not seating for the measurement. Sometimes it helps to rotate the engine a few degrees with the pressure on to help seat them and get better results.

Get one of the real two gauge leakdown testers that let you set the pressure to 80lbs. Here is one example:

http://easterntech.com/e2m.html

That's the tester that I use now. Price under $100.

-Juan
Thanks Juan.
Well I tore the engine down on Friday. I'm not sorry that I did. I had three exhaust valve guides that simply just went away. My machinist was baffled as I was. He asked me if I cleaned out the spray bar for the cams. I did. The cams were brand new as were the rockers and rocker shafts. They still look beautiful! We are thinking that we just got some bad guides. The machinist is going to replace all of the exhaust guides with silicon bronze guides this time.
As to the original question of the Euros vs. the USA pistons... I decided to go with the Mahle Sport 98mm 3.4 kit. They are sitting here on the floor next to my tool box. I can't wait! I'll need to stock up on NOS octane booster.
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr. 4x4
1974 VW Thing (my back burner project)
Old 02-14-2006, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)