View Single Post
drag racing the short bus

Edward - if I were you, I'd stick with that 2.7. If it leaks, good: at least you know there's oil in it. And at the bottom end of the revs, I'd wager a 2.7, even one milder than yours, would leave a 3.0 turbo in the dust as the 3.0 turbo is probably wondering what to do with all the exhaust air it's gulping up until at least 3,000 RPM, while yours KNOWS what to do at 3,000 RPM.

Here's what I think - analyze what sort of driving you're going to do. Street, track, street/track combined, and think then of improving your gears. Those late-70s 915 gearboxes could always do well with some closer ratios. You could even swap in a 7.31 ring and pinion, which, I've heard can be like a virtual increase of 50 hp in your car.

I see you also have a body kit on your car. How much do you think that weighs? Did it lighten your car or make it heavier? Remember, the 3.0 turbo engine is heavier than the 2.7 by at least 100 pounds. Also, if your engine has Webers, it's lighter still, as CIS injection is a weight penalty/performance loss.

Also factor in that you "know" your engine. It's in good shape (I assume). Do you really want to trade that and $5K for something (as I recall the 3.0 turbos) that were somewhat high maintenance?

All-in-all, I think you're ahead of the game with what you have.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)