View Single Post

Send a message via AIM to 2002M3Drew
Re: You might want to think about heat

Quote:
Originally posted by DohertyCM
Although this is a good thing in some cases, I have found down here in florida that the air from the fan running across the pipes actually keeps the heat reduced and keeps your heads cooler.
I blocked mine off and with the SSI type heat exchangers and found the engine ran hotter. I didnt believe it until a Porsche mechanic told me the germans did this for a reason.. Now there are a multitude of other steps to keep the car cool and bring down the temp if that is your main intention. IF you have the cooling fan in the back you can feed that line for the exhaust cooling and block off the main fan. Like I said I wanted to kill the number one killer of motors and I found this to have a reversing effect. Sounds like a good idea but I just wanted you to hear what I found.
I can honestly believe what your mechanic said. A lot of poorly conceived mods for all kinds of cars and motorcycles (and I'm sure other things) are out there, with people thinking they can out-engineer the engineers. Maybe on an older design like this, technology catches up and advancements are found....but those Germans are brilliant engineers, and I have to think that most of what is there from the start is there for a reason!
1992 Carrera C2 Coupe
2006 Cayenne S
Old 03-01-2006, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)