View Single Post
<insert witty title here>

Garage
Just an add-on to this, it seems either PCNA or Porsche Canada may be conspiring against people importing cars from the US to Canada. Everything seems to be rumour at this point, but the story goes that as of July 1 (and possibly retroactive) Porsche will not honour warranties for cars purchased in the US and exported to Canada. They also will not assist in the exportation/importation process by issuing Letters of Compliance (recall clearance letters). Apparently, according to someone at Pfaff, the Canadian dealers are "getting their asses handed to them" (his words!) because of the discrepancy in prices between the US and Canada. Additionally, he said they're no longer allowed to do any warranty work on US cars. I called PCNA yesterday to get a letter of compliance for a Boxster I've just imported, and they flat out refused to provide me with it, saying they stopped providing such letters for commercial imports "about a week ago". They wouldn't offer me any suggestions or further help, just said I'm out of luck. I spoke to RIV about this, and they said they'd look into it, and may have to revise their policy for Porsches. They said it's "my right" to get this letter of compliance, and that PCNA was obligated to provide it to me.

There's a rather long discussion about this on rennlist: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=279013

Again, this is all rumour at this point. I can only confirm what was actually said to me yesterday:
1. PCNA will NOT provide recall clearance letters to commercial importers anymore
2. Pfaff is no longer allowed to do any warranty work on US cars.
And even then, it's always possible that the people I spoke to who told me this were mistaken themselves. The rennlist discussion seems to indicate that lots of people are hearing several different stories, even from the same source (particularly Pfaff).

Just want to give everyone a heads-up to make sure you know what you're getting into.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)