View Single Post

Quote:
Originally posted by brakesqueal
I've replaced two already; both times my bike had the same symptoms as yours. In fact, my clutch fluid had transmission oil mixed in it.

The shop manager told me that in some cases clutch fluid can contaminate the clutch disc.
I hope to have the time this evening to really get into this project, but yesterday I only had time to pop off the fluid reservoir cover to see if the sight glass was lying to me. The fluid was very dark (only 12k miles/ 6 months old) and just smelled wrong. I wondered if it might have gotten contaminated with tranny oil via a leaking/bad slave cylinder and looks like you've just confirmed it. Of course, since the level really hasn't changed seems to me that maybe some of my DOT 4 brake/clutch fluid is now in the gearbox too. Looks like I'll be doing an unscheduled gearbox oil change also.

As the slave cylinder sits on the back of the gearbox, the only way I can see that the leaking fluid could possibly contaminate the clutch disk itself is if the fluid were to travel forward through the gearbox input shaft where the clutch pushrod rides. I believe there is a felt washer on the pushrod to keep gearbox oil from going forward like that, maybe the clutch fluid gets by the washer while the thicker oil can't? I need to get this fixed ASAP.

Fortunately Bob's BMW isn't too much of a detour on my commute home, looks like I'll be stopping in there for a slave cylinder Wednesday evening. Glad I have a second bike, I'd really be upset if I had to cage it!
Old 07-03-2006, 02:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)