View Single Post

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to mic
I imported my 89 930 a year ago (via a us-canada relocation).

Couple of comments...

If the Vehicle was manufactured after November 89 then you need Daytime running lights installed before the inspection. Easiest way is to wire up your fog lights (dealer did this on my nissan).

If you are purchasing a car remotely from a private party, one thing to keep in mind is that that party must have a valid title to the vehicle in their possesion (with no lean holders). In California they have started 'electronic title' (or paperless title) a few years back and there is no physical title. This is not good for export. You need actual paper title to take to US treasurey for export. Registration does not constitue "title" (ownership). DMV quotes a minimum of 20 days for a owner to get a paper title. My vehicles waited at the border in storage until the california DMV produced the titles. Only the registered owner can get a title and they will only ship them to a california address).
A third pary title (i.e. current owner has a title signed over to him from a previous owner) is not valid for export (got stuck on this one when i tried to purchase a car in california that was registered in arizona).
Some states (Arizona) requires the signature on title and/or bill of sale to be notorized to be considered as a valid title transfer.
Make sure all the current owners DVM registration fees are paid up. In california, even if the vehicle is parked there are fees. It is common that these fees are not if the vehicle has been off road for some time.

BTW: Even if an owner has a title without a lein holder shown on it you should confirm with DMV that there isnt a lein. It is possible in rare cases for an owner to actually have a title that doesnt state this (i had one myself) however there is a registered lein holder at DMV - the export guys will see it because they check with the prospective DMV (reason for the 72 business hours). The contrary can also happen i.e. when the owner paid off a loan and the lein holder forgot to notify DMV.

If you purchase a car from a dealer (at least in California) they WILL charge you local sales tax unless they deliver the car out of state.

Last edited by mic; 07-12-2006 at 06:03 AM..
Old 07-11-2006, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)