View Single Post

Question Average valve adjustment interval?

I am looking for some input from the group on valve adjustment interval. My '86 turbo apparently wants it's valves adjusted again after only 4500 miles. Today I noticed a single ticking valve on the driver's side, probably exhaust.

When I purchased the car I drive it from Arizona to Georgia and noticed it ticking when I arrived home. I carefully adjusted the valves at that time. (about 4500 mi ago) and noted that the intake side of the driver's side was the source of the noise. Following the valve adjustment it was quiet until today.

I dare not ignore it because as sure as I do, a non-ticking valve will be tight and I will burn it. I don't take the car out on less than 30 minute trips and most are longer. I am careful with the temperature cycles as it's still running Dilivar studs and I don't want to rush their demise. The total mileage is 108,500 and the top end was rebuilt around 98k. Why they didn't replace the studs at that time I can't tell you.

I expected somewhere between 8k and 10k miles between adjustments, so I'm wondering if my expectations are wrong. I'll certainly adjust them before driving it again, but as I don't remember my '77 S wanting it's valves adjusted quite this often I thought I would ask. Are Turbos harder on valve adjustments?

Ideas gentlemen?

Last edited by ayglass; 11-14-2006 at 06:05 AM..
Old 10-30-2006, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)