View Single Post
Me like track days

My 930 used to be owned by Randy.
It received a complete $24,000 rebuild in 2004, I purchased it in 2005, and it received - as Randy publicly reveals - another $20,000 complete rebuild in early 2006.
--------------
*Distributor lines are disconnected and effectively capped (pinched via clamps) per the 2004 builder's recommendations.
Both vac and retard lines are disconnected from distributor so as to not create a possible imbalance of plate movement.

*Two different timing lights were used. Both show the same measurement.

*Reindexing, yes of course. I've done this as a matter of course on 3 other non-porsche rebuilds I have done. One engine had distributor gears so coarse that reindexing made the adjustment slot go the completely different direction - ie full bottom to full top.
Didn't want to reindex and have it not work - it is a fair bit of work to get to the twin plug distributor (IC removal, very very tight access)

*Timing on the 930 has never been altered by myself.
It remains where the 2006 builder set it.

Posting here to glean actual experiences is valuable to me.
It sounds as if reindexing is indeed a functional possibility.

Thanks Joe, Fred, and beep for the information!

Old 11-19-2006, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)