View Single Post

Send a message via Yahoo to Lukesportsman
SOK and follow up with sales are not two things found said together much.

Centrifugal superchargers don't build linear and also won't build max boost as early as SOME turbos. They tend to build more boost with rpm upto a point where the engine may exceed its flow. This though tends to be "easy" on engines and transmissions and allows more flexibility with regards to fuel.

Whipples are a positive displacement supercharger like a roots. It is a multi helix design that hits so hard you'd be shocked. It does reach boost almost off idle and depending on sizing can hold boosts of 19lbs or more upto redline.

Roots also build boost fast, but have heat issues, hp drains, and low efficiencies. They are softer in hit and easier on transmissions than whipples.

Newer Whipple designs use vacuum to bypass the heat buildup and hp draw. They are heavy and I'm respectfully suggesting more weight than Brian is suggesting.

TPS is another manufactor to consider. There was recent write up on a C2 with this kit in a Mag.

There are tradeoffs of either superchargers or turbos. Military aircraft have used both. Both have been used in cars for about 50 years. Both are used by AMG at the same time. I have several of each Roots, centrifugal superchargers (Paxton, Powerdyne, Procharger), and turbos (KKK, Garrets) in the garage. I like each for their particular application.....I like turbos for the 911. Just more for character than anything else.

Who didn't grow up with a 930 poster on the wall? Turbos were outlawed in Top Alchohol Dragsters years ago because the performance envelope was so open.

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/LukeSportsman
Old 11-19-2006, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)