View Single Post

Supercharging my Twin Turbo...

I have a 964 TwinTurbo RS Tuning built engine waiting to go in my 964 Turbo but I have recently been looking at superchargers, something I thought I would never looked at it.
However after some reseach I see that you could use a SC (wipple type) to intially boost at low revs and when the turbos come into play switch over to them.

I see that the Rally Lancia DELTA had it the two and VW are doing one as well. Also BeepBeep posted a Sweed also successfully doing it...

So its been done and I wanted some input from you guys on how in theory it could be done. I think there are enough SCs around on ebay to pick up cheap enough to give the experiement a go.

If it were to be done I though you need to have a bypass system for the SC (on idle and when the turbos are producing more boost than the SC) so some sort of butterfly/solenoid to create a vacum for the SC and the turbos can bring in the air direct from atmosphere whilst the SC just spins with no load and so no HP drain from the engine. i have seen you could also have a magnetic clutch but this would be more complex and not allow the turbos to breath all the air in they want.

Second is the switch to shut of/by pass the SC, an ECU could do it but I thought maybe a mechanical system i.e a vac line from the turbo and one from the SC, when the turbo boost is greater than SC boost the switch happens... Dont know how I can do this...

If anyone has any ideas or theories or what SCs to look at etc I would appriecate it. I understand somepeople will be against it but with respect this is not what I would like the thread to be about. Just about the fact that if you could combine both you would get an amzing steep torque curve and a faster spoil up so you could run bigger turbos as well.

I might never try it but hey its happening out there...

Cheers

Miles
Old 11-22-2006, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)