View Single Post

Err...this thread strayed away a tad from it's original "how do I get more advance"-question.

Randy being so well spoken, and me having english as my third language, made me having hard time understanding what is actually discussed.

As far as I understand, Craig bought a newly rebuilt car (from Randy?), which promptly malfunctioned, got it rebuild again and now wonders how to advance ignition even more? Randy than says "hey, you shouldn't raise it that much, that's bad for the car" and Craig says "no it isn't, this bloke told me it's optimal", then Randy says "don't believe what people are telling you" then Craig says "I believe this guy".

Did I get it right?

Could someone simplify the issue so a layman can understand?

Heck, I know a bit about ignition timing on boosted engines. You put it on a dyno, pick a conservative setting and then advance until it goes past max torque for given load point or starts to ping. Then you back off a bit to gain margin and that's it. If it's a ping-prone design known to ping before achieving max BMEP, you ask somebody who destroyed similar engine before, and never go as high, or you use better fuel/lower boost. It's finicky but not rocket-science.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)