View Single Post

Best 930 LSD transaxle lube?

Hi, I am asking what everyone feels is the best oil to use in an '87 930 transaxle with a stock limited slip differential?

I have had my car since July and I don't know what oil is in it, but have the previous owners receipts that show it was rebuilt around 30,000 miles ago.
I want to change the gearbox oil soon.

It has a short shift kit in it, and shifts quite well accept sometimes it is difficult to get into 1st gear after idleing in nuetral at a light.

When it does that I don't force it, but instead shift into second and back to first to try and reposition the slider to syncro teeth so they mesh and lock in smoothly.
Sometimes I have to do that 2-3 times while people behind me get impatient waiting for me to move off.
This is an occasional occurance and most of the time the gearbox works perfectly.

In my older BMW with Getrag 5 speed, I use Redline MTL and it improves the action of that gearbox.

I asked a local mechanic if Swepco is good for the LSD 930 box and he said it would be bad for the syncros... like it is too slippery or something. He uses standard non synthetic valvoline gearbox oil.
When I worked at Gunnar Porsche in the late '80s, valvoline is what was used in the 962 box also.
He didn't have any experience using the Redline MTL in the 930 LSD transaxle, and couldn't say if it's good or bad for it.
If the Redline stuff is good for my gearbox, and if it would improve shifting without hurting the syncros or LSD, I would like to use it seeing as how it really improved the shifting in the getrag box in my BMW.
So, having said all this, what is the best oil to use in the '87 930gearbox with limited slip differential?

thanks,
Jim
Old 11-24-2006, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)