View Single Post
Automotive Monomaniac

Garage
Last week, I drove a '07 BMW M6, '07 Mercedes CLK 6.3 AMG, '07 Audi RS4, and '07 Jaguar XJR at the track (among others). I left Willow Springs pretty bummed that my 930 was "slow" compared to the blazingly fast lap times I could turn in those $70K plus modern cars.

Back to reality, apples to apples you can't compare the 930 to anything modern. Different era completely (as others have pointed out).

Sure, you can dump a ton of $$ into your 930 and try to compete with new technology, or you can sit back and enjoy the skill that you are bringing to the table to turn "slower" lap times than the other guys.

In 1945, the P-51 Mustang was one of the world's best fighters. It was raw, noisy, bumpy, and had all manual controls - but it took talent and was damn fun to fly.

In 1975, when the F-16 first was flying, it could run circles (well, wider circles) around the P-51. Electric controls, smooth jet engine, faster, higher, much "easier" to fly at the limit.

In my eyes, the 930 is a P-51 and the M3 (and any other post-1990 sports coupe) is an F-16.

Director of Automotive Insights at Kelley Blue Book / Forbes automotive contributor
Old 11-25-2006, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)