View Single Post
Gotta Jibboo

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BSiple
Talking 930 vs 964 turbo for partial Daily driver

Its time for another 911. The WRX will be going away, and I am seriously looking. I have involved the wife this time, so the process is a bit more enjoyable and we are having fun looking at cars and discussing them.

I have a friend in the car biz, so he is helping too, so that is refreshing as well.

I made the mistake last time not getting a PPI, so obviously that will be done this time.

I have done some searches and read a lot, even posted in the Turbo forum. I like the looks of the 89 and earlier 930's, but since this car is going to be splitting commuting duties with my Tahoe and HD (weather premitting) I like the convience of the 964 based turbos, plus the airbags would be nice.

I don't really want to pay a huge premium for a car with low miles, pristine paint or a garage queen, cause this baby will get driven.

I was hoping to get the Pelican opinon, and some advice here. I have found a couple that make the short list, both 964 based turbos are local. Realize that a PPI may bounce any one of these if bad mojo is found

-1992 911 turbo with 33K miles on it, one owner Mid $40's.
-1994 911 3.6 turbo with 76K miles, Texas car, a couple fo owners, this car has a leaky rear strut, fornt crank seal seeping oil, KKK turbo, and a stainless exhaust. $39K

-lots of clean mid 50K mile 85-87 930's, but none local.

I don't want to jump into anything without thinking, or let my heart make the purchase decision. I have drive the 92 turbo, and it was clean, didn't leak any oil, but there was a noise out of the right rear (maybe strut??, another reason to PPI).

What are you folks thoughts?

Thanks, Bill

I don't know why I do the hillbilly things I do.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)