View Single Post

Quote:
Originally posted by WydRyd
Thanks... yeh, I'd have to say I take it easy the last 3-5 minutes before reaching final destination, then let it idle down a further minute and shut off.

I did that with my KKK for years and had no issues. Now that I have a GT BB turbo, perhaps I need to be a bit more cautious, since it hasn't got water cooling hooked up

Local garrett Dealer here Actually the BB CHRA is more durable when subjected to spin down(period between ignition shutoff and turbine stopping). They can run with less oil in this instance as ball bearings don't support the turbine shaft on a thin film of pressurized oil like floating bearing CHRA's do.......

All turbochargers should be "timed" no matter what the driving condition is for maximum longevity. If one is in a hurry and doesn't want to wait in the car, a good turbo timer module should be wired in for use to prevent coking(burnt oil residue buildup) which will eventually restrict oil flow. The HKS type I and II units are very good, reasonably priced(~$100-$120), and have an auto time function that determines the proper time down setting based on the car's recent driving situation(oxygen sensors referrenced). Takes the "how long" guesswork out of the equation
Old 12-04-2006, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)