View Single Post

Quote:
Originally posted by timc
Wouldn't letting the car idle for several minutes after taking the last 5-10 min easy (say around 2k in 2nd gear) actually cause the oil temp to go up instead of down???

By no means an expert, just asking..

tim.
Good, valid question. Oil temps will rise if you idle for several minutes, especially in hot ambient climates. Which is why it's probably best to take it easy the last 5 minutes or so before reaching the destination. This, as mentioned above, lets the turbo cool down from the airflow around it whilst the car is mobile. If you do this, then you really just need to let it idle for a minute before shutting off. That's what I do.

I do notice in the hotter climates, if I sit stationary in traffic, the oil temps rise quickly and the intercooler begins to heat-soak, greatly impacting on power and response
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition

Last edited by WydRyd; 12-06-2006 at 02:32 PM..
Old 12-06-2006, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)