View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig911
Indeed that Rocket's comment: (Virtually identical" is pretty close to the "same" in my book) is true, thus why I respond with "they are not identical" to the below from Bill:

"Pagid Blue and Orange are not the same compound, Orange used to be a good choice for a track pad that could be used on the street if you don't mind the noise, blue are an excellent street pad if you don't mind a lot of black dust."

The point is there are TWO blues.

One track (RS4-2 blue), one street (dark blue) that Bill may be referring to. Often the two are confused.

We also need to be careful about generalizations here.
Oranges are *not* rough on rotors.
Yes there are 2 blues the older RS4-2 blue I used for ~5yr or so on my C3 w/ 964 brakes, it's a fine sporting strreet pad which can be used on track, but there are far better choices, they do throw tons of black dust.

The new sport blue I have no experince w/

The orange RS4-4, in my experience(903/964/993/993tt/993RS brakes) is an excellect track pad that can be used on the street, does squeel horribly -it' primary issue is its tendanct to uneven pad deposition, they need to be carefully bedded before getting it on and if used on the street rebedded at the next track day. Perhaps in the smaller SC or Carrera sizes they don't squeel

Yellow RS19 is much better suited for dual use, you do want to rebed and the do squeel some but dust isn't half bad.

And no Metal masters are more like Blues they are fine street pads w/ low dust and little to no squeel but they are not going to be good track pads.

I wouldn't consider any of the above to be rough on rotors
Old 12-09-2006, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)