View Single Post

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Razorback1980
Sorry to hear about that Steve. I always keep a spare DME relay in the glove box as I hate being stranded on the road. I am also considering putting in an emergency circuit to bypass the DME relay for situations like this. It would be very simple to do and like I said..it burns my buns when I'm left at the side of the road.

Getting under the car may help some, but it's really going to be hard to tell for sure. Sound travels through metal very well and it pretty much has to be something that touches all those pieces. I'm not sure how to tell which one it is for sure other than trial and error. Anybody else have a clue how to properly diagnose something like this? The input shaft on the transmission is what connects to the driveline in the torque tube in the back and of course it spins any time the drive line spins. That's why it's going to be hard to tell which one it is. Try putting a stethescope on the torque tube and see where it's the loudest. If it's in the front toward the engine, then it's probably torque tube bearings...if it's in the rear, it could be either of the two. The only way I can think of to tell is to pull the torque tube and spin it on the bench and see if the noise is there or not. If not, then try spinning the transmission shaft and see what that yields. None of this sounds like too much fun. You have me thinking that while I have my motor out, I should just go ahead and replace my bearings. Seems like the logical time.

1990 944S2 Cabriolet
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2003 Maroon Ford F350 dually
Old 12-10-2006, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)