View Single Post

Re: Re: Intercooler 101 -

Quote:
Originally posted by 911nut
I read somewhere that Porsche abandoned the water/air intercooler after the 934 because as the water heated up the intercooler became less efficient than an air/air unit.
I would have to say your above statement is incorrect as pertaining to a street production car.

Air To Water Cons:
1) Needs a separate radiator...where would you mount one on a 911? In the nose, 15feet from the engine?
Under the car - will get damaged eventually?
Cut a hole in the rear arches and mount there - way too expensive!

2) Requires a separate electric pump that is always cycling - more expense, more wiring and more load on the alternator! More things that can go bad.

3) More plumbing and chances of leaks - therefore more maintenance, owner headaches and costs!

4) After around 40mp/h an air to water is just as an efficient as a good air to air.

I only know of one car that came with a factory installed air to water intercooler - the Toyota Celica GT Four from 1988 to 1991 - a very low production car packed with technology but eventually the air to water was abandoned even on this model in favor of a top mount ait to air.

Yasin
Old 12-29-2006, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)