View Single Post
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
What are your objectives for the car? For the cooler?

If you are searching for maximum possible oil cooling, then you need to find a good clean source of high-pressure cold air. The best and easiest source is the front of the car. You can put the cooler in the trunk (well, if you didn't have A/C). The holes work reasonably well to get air in, but of course you have to let the air out again for there to be flow. The fresh air intake up by the windshield doesn't work very well as an exhaust location, as that is a high-pressure area.

You can try putting the cooler in the front bumper, and open up the bumper somewhat to get flow to it. A bit of ducting may be needed as well. Then get the air into the trunk through the abovementioned holes, and out through the airco hole. That may work reasonably well.

Another option that is popular on time trial cars locally is to hang the cooler out in front of the front bumper. Good cooling, but VERY subject to debris and other drivers' errors.

The under-the-rear-trunk is a crappy location as far as getting cold air flow. However, you can supposedly make up for that at least somewhat by using an oversized cooler (just bought a ~13" x ~13" Earl's cooler) and a fan. I haven't figured out the mounting details yet, though.

I know two people who have coolers located in a rear tail. You can see one of them if you have the latest issue of "Excellence". Check for the "Nine Lives" article, and the photo of Number 22 in the Corkscrew. The other is a somewhat more restrained installation, with the standard small wedge-shaped tail sectioned in the middle for the cooler. The tail location does present some real routing challenges, though.

I have seen pictures of a 914 with a cooler just sitting flush on top of the rear deck lid. Don't know how effective that is, plus you still have some of the mounting challenges.

The engine lid (with a fan) is another popular location locally. Mostly because it is VERY easy to install there. Pre-heats your intake air and your cooling air a bit, of course.

And finally, one guy I know seems obsessed with putting a cooler or two in the targa bar somehow. He's not sure yet, but he thinks it can be done reasonably with some creative ducting.

--DD

[This message has been edited by Dave_Darling (edited 06-23-99).]
Old 06-23-1999, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)