View Single Post

It's all a matter of preference really. Personally, I like bigger turbos as they just "hit" harder. Smaller more responsive stuff really doesn't appeal to me at all. I'm not concerned so much about the actual performance under the curve. I just want that sledgehammer-to-the-chest acceleration when the turbo kicks in! I drive my car for fun, and bigger turbos = more fun for me. When I stop screwing around with my 951, I think I'll be upgrading my Carrera to a Garrett Gt40r (gt4088r to be exact). It has the same compressor as the 35r but a larger turbine and divided housing. It'll make a bit more then a 35r at the same boost, have a bit more total power capability, though it won't be that much laggier than a 35r. Still, it's tempting to go even larger like a Gt42r or 70mm+ turbo as I plan on eventually upgrading my valvetrain to handle ~7.5-8k rpm, in which case full boost ~4.5-4.8k wouldn't matter to me.

One thing to mention is supporting mods. If you truly want an insanely fast car, to do it right be prepared to drop a lot of money for a fuel system, engine management, brake upgrades, wheels/tires, chassis/suspension upgrades, etc. The higher horsepower you go for, the more expensive it's going to get.

I'd recommend buying a 3.2 Carrera and either buy a Protomotive turbo kit or source the parts yourself from somewhere like Goingsuperfast and have someone like Todd @ Protomotive tune a chip for you. It will potentially be easier this way as you'll already have EFI, more displacement then a stock 70's 911, a more conventional base to work with (meaning more support from tuners like Todd), etc. An earlier 911 really isn't going to be much cheaper, if at all, to build up in the same manner. Potentially, it could even be more expensive as you wouldn't have EFI plus there are some various other differences with earlier 911's. The best thing you could do at this point is to get a ride in some higher hp cars if you haven't already and decide what you want. I've been spoiled early on by riding in some big turbo Supras. It's truly an amazing feeling when you are in a big turbo car like that and the horizon goes from an average speed to a "blur" towards you somewhat like warp speed on star trek!
Old 01-09-2007, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)