View Single Post

New 930 for the board

Hello all,

I would like to thank everyone for their contributions to this Forum and especially the fine folks at Pelican Parts for continuing to support our addiction to these small, impractical, temperamental, aggravating, unsafe and expensive rolling copper wired bundles of turbocharged joy. It will shortly become extremely obvious that I am (as I suspect all of you are) not exactly “right”.

Little about me. I got the Porsche bug early. Dad bought a 79 Turbo Carrera when I was about 13, then an 85 Carrera (sold with 164,000 miles – same clutch, 4 sets of shocks), now has an 04 997 C2 Tiptronic, my brother drives a 99 996 Cab Tip as well. In 2000, I bought a Beck 550 and have been restoring it as close to orig as possible since 2002 – aluminum floor goes in this weekend (have pictures if anyone interested) and in April of 06, I sold my CLK430 (daily Driver) and bought this car from jobenz 1982 930 Turbo – as my daily driver… yes, daily driver. Not so odd I guess, but I live in HOUSTON – which I have come to realize over the past 7 or so months that our climate is considerably different than the one these cars were originally engineered to run in. I am sharing this with you for two reasons really. First to share my – real world – experiences (successes and failures) in the event that someone else may be able to apply them to their own endeavors and second as payback for your thoughts, considerations and help in the event that you decide to answer what I am sure will be many, many posts to this forum.

A little about the 930, My dad and I flew to Hartford to “look” at the car – I was the only one that knew I had only purchased two one way tickets from Houston to Hartford – drove her for about an hour, then to the bank and we were on our way home. 1723 miles from doorstep to doorstep – in 36 hours – averaged 23 mpg. Case was bone dry, when we left, bone dry when we arrived in Houston and Bone Dry today – which is a miracle after you understand the temperatures I have but this car through in the last 7 months (anyone in the Hartford, NY, New Haven area that needs a master engine builder I cannot do enough to recommend Stewart Morton at Morton Competition – (have contact info if interested) he is a genius. From the AD, you can see that she has spent more than a couple of hours under the knife and has many of the attributes that one would expect a second wife to have. And as you would suspect, my current wife (first) is at times less than amorous towards her and I (not even going to talk about the 550 – which I bought a couple of weeks BEFORE we got married – thank GOD). In any event, those “implants” err features can cause havoc when the heat of the day reaches 100+ F and stop and go traffic mostly stops rather than goes. It was obvious that “cooling” was going to be an issue. When I bought it, it had 3 coolers – Stock engine mounted cooler, 7 row B&B front mounted cooler and the stock tube cooler in the front passenger side wheel well. Still, 15 to 20 min in traffic would rocket oil temp past 220 degrees and facilitate a freeway shoulder side or parking lot car show of one for 45 minutes to an hour. Knowing how little time I already get to spend with our now 5 year old daughter, this just wasn’t going to work. So, I called BAT Enterprises and ordered a 44 Row Mocal cooler to replace the tube cooler in the Passenger’s Front wheel well, and ran two 6 inch pull type fans with a on-off switch inside. Anyone interested in doing this needs to know a couple of things. First, the fittings on a brass tube cooler after 24+ years become so attached to the cooler that nothing short of an answered prayer can get them of without some degree of marring either the fittings or the cooler – my luck it was the fitting – call back to BAT, new hose adapter please. Second, there are 2 points in the wheel well that one can use to attach an external cooler to – neither of which are useful with any know or unknown mounting bracket – that was accomplished with a 2 foot by two foot sheet of 3/16 inch thick sheet of aluminum – also have pictures if interested. The new cooler, fans and switch to Royal Purple XPR 20/50 have made a huge difference.

Now for a question or two, if you don’t mind. I know the car is a “Grey Market” car and that there is little documentation and even fewer people willing to help “resident aliens”, but I am having intermittent problems with my alternator not charging – has anyone experienced this and if so, what did you find was the issue – voltage regulator? Second, has anyone run another set of auxiliary gages for voltage, oil pressure and oil temp and if so – where are the best places to pick up the signals – on back of existing gages OR straight from the sending units – and if from the sending unit is your suggestion, where is the oil pressure pick-up I should wire from? Lastly, from the oil tank to the front cooler there is a metal piece – that the hoses run into – I assumed that this was a thermostat which opened when needed to send hot oil to the cooler, but Haynes and my 101 projects book call it an oil pressure regulator – can someone shed some (more) light on that part.

Well, thank you again… I hope I can add some kind of value to this board.

Sincerely - Ryan
1982 930
Old 01-11-2007, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)