View Single Post

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig911
Uhm.......ever wonder what happens when weld crap from cheap cracked headers enters a turbo?

Please take a look at his feedback from people who have purchased the OBX stuff. Major fitment issues.
Problem after problem.

Not good. IMO.
First, 321 is better for turbo headers than 304, assuming the wall thickness is =. The major concern here will be wall thickness and weld quality - if the pipe is too thin, it will eventually crack, esp. on an air cooled motor due to expansion. For the price, if they're thick enough to do the job, having a good weld shop check them and fix as needed would still put you at 1/3 of the ghl cost, and you'd have parts every bit as good as their stuff (which is HIGHLY overrated and waaaaay overpriced IMO). Of course, having my own MIG and TIG capability prolly gives me a different perspective on these manufacturers.

If OBX is using appropriate materials (which I have no idea, although I'm very tempted to buy a set to see what they're producing), IMO the price of $500 is spot on for the time and materials in them.

Basically, I think all of the other vendors out there have copied an original Porsche design (1st seen on the turbo RSR and 934), added heat boxes in some cases, then reamed the marketplace to the tune of 3-4x of what the market bears for 99.9999% of high performance cars out there.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)